Quantcast

Monday, November 26, 2012

Jimi Hendrix 70th Birthday

Tomorrow we are having a birthday party at my house!  Serving spaghetti and strawberry shortcake.  JAMMING OUT and might even drop some acid ;)  That wink means yeah right I have 2 babies. Yup, tomorrow Jimi would have been 70 years old!!  I am a bit (a lot) obsessed with 60-70's Rock and often daydream of life as a rock 'n roll groupie during that era.  Think Penny Lane, or the real life queen of the groupies Pamela Des Barres.  Maybe even Patty Boyd having George Harrison and Eric Clapton fighting over me...sigh.

So where my baby sis (bohoG) likes to sit around and read 15th century English Romance Novels - I kid you not, I have always been obsessed with Rock n Roll biographies of the 70's.  I don't just read them, I absorb them, I become entranced and I feel like they become a part of me.  After reading Patti Smith's Just Kids, I convinced my co-worker on a trip to New York City to book our hotel rooms at the now closed down Chelsea Hotel.  It was a DUMP!!!  But so magical!!  I loved it, they hated it....I also slept on top of the sheets and kept my flip flops on the entire time.  But I just could not believe I was there!!  With Janis and Jimi and Patti and Bob and Sid and the list goes on and on...
Bonnie and I at the historic Chelsea Hotel

But something happened when I read Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix, I totally fell in LOVE.  I listened to nothing but Jimi Hendrix, I bought WAAY too much Jimi Hendrix art (like it got excessive, my small bungalow at the time was covered in Jimi), I had Jimi t-shirts and pens, went to Jimi cover-band concerts, all the gifts I gave were Jimi gifts...needless to say, his estate has seen a lot of my $$.  I have slowed down a bit, but my love has never faltered!!  And now I have 2 little people who wear Jimi Hendrix onesies, even their nursery was designed with 70's rock n roll in mind and I swear I shed a tear when I saw Dax dance to Voodoo child for the first time.




Voodoo Child!!!

So in celebration of Jimi's 70th birthday my family is going to eat his favorite foods, listen to his music and have a bold as love dance party! 



Jimi Hendrix      November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970


Happy Birthday Jimi...I love you so very much!
xo,
BohoS

some of my other fav's
Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zepplin Saga
I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie
Life by Keith Richards
Scar Tissue: Anthony Kiedis
this one really is so amazing - Just Kids by Patti Smith
and of course:  Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix

Please comment if you have any books I need to check out, or if you love Jimi like I do!!  It was REALLY hard to keep this post brief.  I could go on for days...





2 comments:

  1. My two favorite Hendrix quotes:

    “Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.”

    “I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.”

    There's a new book about Hendrix out now. Jimi Hendrix, A brothers story. It's by Leon Hendrix, Jimi's brother. There's also an older book titled: Henrix on Hendrix. You should be able to find it at B&N or on Amazon. My favorites are: No One Gets Out of Here Alive and Riders on The Storm...I'm a huge Jim Morrison fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin!! Thanks so much for your feedback and AWESOME suggestions!! I can't tell you how excited I am to read Leon's book. I know from my readings Leon has had a rough road, and their father has turned over majority control of the estate to his new family that he married into. But, I'm excited to be able to support Leon! And, I love Jim Morrison, but haven't read any books about him. That will be top on my list. I got to see his grave at Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris and Peace Frog is one of my top 10 favorite songs. Thanks again for the great suggestions!!!

    ReplyDelete